The Birth of Kadyn

I have been waiting to share the full story of Kadyn’s Birth in blog form specifically for his first Birthday.

At about eight months pregnant, Kadyn started crowding my ribs. I don’t know if it was my small torso, or the fact that he just liked to kick, but it was awfully uncomfortable at times where it would actually cause me to shed tears and it only got worse and even when he dropped, I found hardly any relief.

At 37 weeks or so, I would keep track of my contractions while at my serving job. Sometimes I would have them 3 minutes apart, but they were never consistent and I could still walk through them. One night, I called Labor and Delivery because I felt like they were coming pretty consistently, and I was a little concerned I was in labor but didn’t know it because I was definitely having contractions, but I could still walk and talk through them. They told me the same thing, until they interrupt a sentence, you don’t need to come in. Sometimes my guests would ask me when I was going to have him, and I’d humorously reply “I am actually in labor right now…” I figured if I went to the hospital, they would have me walk around anyway, so why not make some money and walk around the restaurant? I went into Labor and Delivery after work that night. After they got me all hooked up, the nurse was shocked at how close my contractions were to one another but I was having full conversations all the way through them. She would say “that was a long one! But your face didn’t even change!” They monitored me for a little while and the Midwife looked at my chart and wanted to check for signs of active labor by checking for membranes. There wasn’t any so she asked me if I wanted to walk or go home, I chose to go home.

Three days later, after working for those three days, I was still getting contractions, but my rib pain would get bad with each one and it wasn’t resulting in anything so I was getting annoyed and impatient, was I going into labor or not? I decided to try taking a nap. When I laid down, Kadyn moved in a way that made me feel like my ribs were a picket fence and he was dragging a stick across them. It made me jolt in discomfort and instantly burst into tears. I called Labor and Delivery again and spoke to the midwife, it was the same one I saw in Labor and Delivery three days prior. She asked what was wrong and I just told her, sobbing, that I was uncomfortable and just wanted this baby out and I felt like I was being teased. She asked if I wanted to come in again, I said I didn’t know because I didn’t want to leave without a baby and since I was only one day shy of 38 weeks, I didn’t want to leave frustrated again after spending a bunch of time sitting in a bed, basically waiting for nothing. As I talked to her a little more, she went from asking me if I wanted to come in, to telling me she thinks I need to. So reluctantly, my husband and I headed to the hospital. I told my Mom she could meet me there if she wanted, but we would most likely be there for just a couple hours. We even got there and they asked what kind of room we wanted, I said I didn’t care because I was pretty sure we weren’t staying. I was one angry pregnant lady!

After a few hours of being on the monitors, the midwife came in to check on me. She said “Last time you were here, I thought for sure you’d be back in 12 hours to have a baby!” She also mentioned that whenever I had a contraction, Kadyn’s heart rate would decrease a bit. She told me that the midwife team does not induce before 39 weeks as a rule, she apologized but they didn’t feel comfortable with it generally. They did, however, want to keep me on the monitors for two more hours to watch his heart. So, I had called it. I had a feeling that would happen and I just wanted to leave already and try to power through the next two weeks.

I had taken hydration very seriously my whole pregnancy, I can’t have juice, and I needed to limit my coffee intake, so I drank water like a fish. Well, unfortunately, with monitors attached to my belly, taking frequent pee breaks isn’t too convenient. I had asked them to show my Mom how to hook me back up so they didn’t have to come in so often to put the monitors back on. After an hour, I had to call the nurse in to reattach me and place them in the right spots because we were struggling. I said to the nurse that I was sorry, I was probably the last on the priority list. She said “actually, we’re going to keep you over night…” and then left the room! Dillon and I were so puzzled, just an hour before, the midwife said they do not induce and she also said that Kadyn’s decelerated heart rate during contractions was worth watching for two more hours. A ton of scenarios were going through our head, what could be wrong? Why would she say that and leave?

What felt like an eternity passed when the midwife and nurse came into the room. She said she has been watching the monitor and his heart continued to decrease when I had a contraction, so her and the other midwives on the team decided, that we’re ‘going to go ahead and have a baby’. Dillon and I couldn’t believe it! We were so relieved that nothing was wrong, they just thought it would be best to ‘get baby out’. In 30 minutes or so, I was on Pitocin, Dillon was on his way to the house for my hospital bag and other incidentals, and my Dad was getting my sister in California on the next flight to Idaho. It was happening! We were going to meet our baby.

Since I was only dilated to 2cm, I had some time to get rest. It was around 10pm when they started my IV, so I decided to sleep. It was hard to sleep because I usually sleep on my side, but the monitors caused me to have to sleep on my back but nonetheless, I got a few hours and woke up dilated at a 3. The new midwife came in so I could meet her since the shifts had switched. She was so nice! She witnessed me go through a contraction but because of the rib pain and the fact that I was sitting in a bed made them more painful than it should have been. She hinted toward the fact that I’d probably be needing an epidural soon. Well, I didn’t think that was totally fair, I hadn’t had the chance to walk or sit on the birth ball. She went to break my water and I stopped her and said I didn’t want it broken yet, so she swiped my membranes instead and stopped my Pitocin about an hour later. My labor got kicked into high gear as I dilated more but I was able to get through the contractions really well because I got out of the bed and got into a comfortable position on the birth ball. My contractions got stronger and closer together, my husband helping me through them. I got to the point where I was really tired and wasn’t getting much of a break between contractions. Since then, the midwife had visited and told me that I did great getting through a contraction and she had been worried about me before, I explained the rib pain made it unbearable when I was sitting, but being able to stretch my torso helped me deal with the pain. However, I was exhausted and I just wanted my baby here! I asked for the epidural through my sobs.

After receiving the epidural -and braving 5 contractions during it, unable to move- I asked her to check me and break my water. I was at an 8 and now my water was broken! I wanted to experience labor a little bit, and I felt like going from a 4 to an 8 and feeling every bit of it was good and I was able to relax and just focus on becoming a mother in the last 2 hours before I started pushing!

The midwife told Dillon to help me know when to push by telling me when a contraction was coming, and she told me that I would get to help deliver him. What? I thought that was SO COOL. After an hour of pushing, my baby had entered the world! I was able to feel him when he was crowning and I went to pull him up to my chest when the midwife grabbed his umbilical cord so quick and yelled “STOP!” His cord was shorter than expected and it was starting to tear! I of course, followed orders and she was able to prevent that from happening and cut it correctly, and I was able to bring Kadyn up to my chest.

He was so content already! The midwife said she was concerned he wasn’t crying, but he was really just relaxing on Mamma, breathing perfectly fine, just happy to be in the world.

September 25, 2016, 6:17pm, 7 pounds, 4 ounces and 19 inches long. Our perfect son, Kadyn Michael Profit who turned our world upside down and inside out was finally here and we absolutely couldn’t be happier.

I am totally amazed it has already been a year. He is the most amazing little boy ever and I am privileged to be his mom. Turned out my body was going through something called prodromal labor which is usually defined as a labor that starts and stops, sometimes for days on end. Prodromal labor feels like real labor, it acts like real labor and in many ways it is real labor. Sadly, it eventually stops and doesn’t result in a baby like active labor does. That’s what I had experienced for about a week! But my labor was perfect! I wouldn’t have had it any other way. My midwife did comment that had I gone into labor on my own, I probably could have done it without medication and that she predicts I won’t need it with my next baby. (We’ll see about that, haha!)

We brought Kadyn home just 2 days later to a clean house and stocked fridge thanks to my Mother and sister, Tayler. Dillon was the ultimate coach through labor and I am so lucky to have had such a great team behind me as I gave birth.

I look forward to being his Mom for the rest of my life.

Happy First Birthday to my Sweet Baby!  I love him so much and I am so proud of him!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s